Courses and Information
The sixth form courses:
Nail Hair and Beauty Level 1 BTEC Certificate
Skills-based qualifications designed to help learners develop the personal and social skills needed to help them to progress to independent living, future employment, or further vocational study. All units are 100% internally assessed.
Hair & Beauty (Nails)
The level 1 course in Hair and Beauty is a qualification designed to introduce you to a broad range of practical skills from across the hair and beauty industry to prepare you for employment. You will develop your practical skills through improving the appearance of hair, hands, feet, facial skin and learn to apply basic make up.
Units you may study include:
- Face Painting
- Make-Up Application
- Hand, Foot & Nail Care
- Nail Art
- Customer Service Skills
- Design a Retail Display in the Salon
- Promote Hair & Beauty Products
- Health & Safety
- Shampoo & Condition Hair
- Hair Styling
- Hair Colouring
- Blow Dry Hair
The Level 1 Diploma in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy has been designed for those wanting to prepare for a career as a Beauty Therapist, hair stylist, make-up artist, and make-up consultancy.
Catering Edexcel Level 1 NVQ Certificate in Food Preparation and Cooking
This work-based qualification is aimed at learners who are working, or want to work, in hospitality and catering businesses such as fine dining or quick service restaurants, hotels, bed and breakfasts, youth hostels, holiday parks, contract caterers, armed forces, schools and care homes. It could lead to employment as a junior chef, fast food service assistant or kitchen assistant.
BTEC Level 1 Introductory Certificate in Hospitality and Tourism
The purpose of these qualifications is to develop the transferable skills, attributes and behaviours needed for learners to progress to further study and ultimately to employment. The qualifications are designed to be delivered in an applied way, bringing together appropriate content with practical and technical skills. As a Level 1 qualification, the pass standard requires learners to complete routine, simple and directed tasks by applying their knowledge and skills. It is expected that learners complete tasks fully under supervision, direction or with guidance. At merit and distinction levels, learners may be expected to complete tasks in greater detail or with greater confidence or independence.
- Writing, speaking and listening to others
- Using body language to help communication
- Using communication for different purposes
- Communicating in a variety of ways, including electronic and social media
Working with others
- Setting common goals
- Showing respect for others in the team and valuing their contributions
- Listening to others in the team, being open minded
- Taking on roles and responsibilities
- Identifying issues by being able to examine information
- Dealing with change
- Decision making to find solutions
- Staying with a problem until it is resolved
- Using IT to help solve problems
- Collecting and using information from different sources
- Determining relevance and accuracy of information
- Organising information
- Representing information in different ways
- Using IT to present and store information
Self-management and development
- Setting goals and planning ahead
- Being proactive and flexible
- Being resilient and able to work under pressure
- Monitoring performance and devising strategies for improvement
- Using IT for time management
Textiles L2 Edexcel Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Manufacturing Textile Products (QCF)
This work-based qualification is aimed at learners who are working, or want to work, in the fashion and textiles sector. It could lead to employment in textile manufacturing or quality control
Edexcel Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Manufacturing Sewn Products (QCF)
This work-based qualification is aimed at learners who are working, or want to work, in the textiles sector. It could lead to employment as a sewn manufacture operative, dyer or printer for textiles, leather and other clothing materials.
Music Technology BTEC Level 2 Pathway
Through a combination of practical experience and written assignments, these vocational qualifications provide level 2 learners with the knowledge, skills and understanding needed for a career in the sector. Units offered include composition, solo and ensemble performance, rehearsal and improvisation, production, recording and DJ technology.